Thursday 13 October 2011

Ancient History: Part 1: The discovery

Every new mother's experience of pregnancy is different - for some it is something they have dreamed about, for others it is something they fear or worry about.

For moms of twins, that first reaction is usually denial.

Mine went something like this:  I knew that I was pregnant very early on - we had been trying for quite some time and for various reasons had not been successful (a story I might go into later on).  My husband (henceforth referred to as the Sweetpea, for unknown reasons) is an obstetrician/gynaecologist, so when I first thought I might be pregnant, he cautioned me to wait.  He didn't want me to get my hopes up and have them dashed again.  So for an extra ten days we waited, and then did the pregnancy test.  We were both overjoyed to see the two lines appearing before our eyes.  "Do you want to go for a scan?" he asked me.  It was late at night, and he had access to the departmental scanner after hours due to his role at the hospital.  What a question to ask!  We furtively sneaked into the Gynae offices and he got out the scanner while I lay down on the bed.  He began the scan.  For the longest time, he didn't say a word.  "What is it?" I asked, immediately fearing the worst, like two heads or no limbs.  "What's wrong?"
"Just give me a second," he said, and my heart leapt into my chest.  There must be something terribly wrong! Then he turned the scanner to face me.  "What do you see?" he asked me.  


Now, I'll be the first to admit that I am not at all medically minded, but when I looked at that scan picture, I could definitely see that something was different.  Two tiny oval sacs lay close together in the grey mass that was my uterus.

"It looks like there are two," I said, after a while.

And  there were.  And that is when we both started crying.  But I have to admit, not tears of fear or worry.  They were tears of excitement and joy. And that was the start of our journey - what a journey it's been so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment